LSA Virtual Conference Update - A Message From Our Program Chairs
Friday, April 3, 2020
Saddened as we were, of course, to cancel LSA's face-to-face meeting in Denver, our plans to take the meeting online are starting to take shape. We are writing now to let you know some of our online thinking.
Subject to change, here are some of our plans:
- Paper sessions that allow panelists to deliver papers to an audience of interested participants, with those participants able to engage in meaningful ways – with a “chat” function, everyone can ask their question!
- Plenaries will be available both live and recorded giving you an option to attend even if it’s scheduled at an inconvenient time.
- Author Meets Reader sessions may be longer, allowing us to discuss more thoroughly the newest books in our field.
- Professional development panels – on getting grants, publication, tenure, and other topics – available at the LSA web site all year long.
Indeed, we are excited about the possibilities and opportunities presented by an online meeting. We hope that you will join us there!
After careful consideration, LSA decided to keep the same registration fee as the face-to-face meeting. We expect that the technology we can procure will offer opportunities to interact with colleagues, present your research, and get feedback to an extent similar to attending a regular meeting. Moreover, LSA will incur significant costs associated with cancelling the meeting and transferring it to an online environment, and the Annual Meeting constitutes an important portion of LSA’s annual budget.
Next steps -- Please fill out the cancellation form (Click here) by April 15th if you would prefer NOT to join us in LSA’s journey to a virtual annual meeting, and we will refund your registration fee in full. If you decide not to participate, we would be thrilled if you would consider donating your registration fee, even in part if you’re able, to the Law and Society Association, to protect its ongoing health and vitality through these challenging times.
If we do not hear from you by April 15, you will remain in the program, joining us in this exciting experiment. Refunds will not be processed after April 15.
Finally and most importantly, as we face these new challenges, we hope that wherever you are, you, your family and friends are managing to stay safe and keep healthy. Looking forward to seeing all of you in virtual space!
- Anna-Maria Marshall and Jonathan Klaaren | Program Committee Co-Chairs